Everyone knows that snack time is one of the best times of the day! Getting a tasty treat in the middle of the workday or grabbing a snack after school can be just the pick-me-up you need to tackle the rest of your day with a smile. But before you reach for the chips or chocolates, we have a few smile-friendly suggestions!
- Fresh Fruit: Summer offers an array of fruits that are in season. The natural sugar in these fruits is different from refined sugars—their high water content and fiber makes them a healthy snack for your teeth as well as your body.
- Leafy Greens: Dark, leafy greens like kale, spinach, and collard greens have calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, and Magnesium; all essential for healthy teeth and gums.
- Cheese, Milk, and Yogurt: Dairy is a delicious source of calcium, which supports strong bones and teeth.
Get creative this summer with different ways to eat your fruit, especially if you have kids! These are just a few of our favorite ways to eat fruit:
- Fruit Smoothies: From frozen strawberries and fresh lime juice to bananas and frozen mango, simply blend and enjoy!
- Frozen fruit bars: These tasty bars are easy when you have a popsicle mold and some fresh pureed fruit (pineapple and orange are our favorite)!
- A fruit salad: Try grapes, cherries, peaches, kiwis, pineapple, and strawberries.Whatever your family is crazy about!
- Fruit kabobs: Have your kids make their own fruit kabobs, or, you can try fruit and cheese kabobs for an extra calcium boost.
- Fruit necklaces: Your kids will love making these (and eating them too but, watch out this can get messy)!
- Fruit pizza: Use watermelon as a base for this “pizza” and have your kids top with their favorite fruits!
Now that we’ve shared our favorite healthy snacks, we want to hear from you! If you have any healthy recipes you make at home, share them with us on our Facebook page! We’d love to see what kinds of creative snack ideas you’ve come up with.